September 29, 2013

New Movies on Netflix

With Netflix coming to TiVo by the end of the year, I thought I'd have a quick hunt around to see what, if any, new movies are showing on the service. Of course, Sky moved in quickly to tie up the biggest deals with all the major Hollywood studios as soon as OFCOM turned its back, but that's not to say Netflix is limited to the paltry selection of older movies that you find on VM's own Picturebox service (which at best resembles those you may find in a second-hand DVD shop).
For some curious reason the UK Netflix site tucks away its movies and (excellent) TV line up and it looks like you have to sign up before exploring, but you don't. Click on this link Netflix and have a look through the links on the left hand side to see more.
Here are some of the more recent films you can get via Netflix in the UK:

  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  • Hunger Games
  • Thor
  • 21 Jump Street
  • Lawless
  • Magic Mike
  • Cowboys & Aliens
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • Amour
  • Gambit
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Hope Springs
  • Drive (the Ryan Gosling one)
  • Woman in BlacK
I can't see any clear logic on what studios are signed up with Netflix for UK movies as these seem to be from all the big studios but this selection alone features a number of movies yet to debut on Sky Movies. And word is they'll be in 1080p and 5.1 when the service hits your TiVo.
Anyone else getting excited? I watch Breaking Bad on Netflix on my laptop, iPad and on the TV via my daughter's Wii (sadly, only in SD) so its arrival on TiVo is eagerly awaited in my front room.

UPDATE: PLEASE READ COMMENTS BELOW.

5 comments:

sibod said...

Hi,
Although your spot on with some of those movies, quite a few aren't on Netflix UK.

Avengers Assemble, Dredd, Parker - aren't yet available.

Are you looking at the UK selection rather than the US?

I would point out that Netflix does have an outstanding selection of old and new TV shows - including the excellent House of Cars and Orange Is the new Black.

You really cant do better than Netflix for value though.

Nialli said...

It's weird - I'm not using a VPN or any US DNS modification, but I've just started watching The Avengers movie and it plays fine. Most odd. As do Dredd and Parker. But I'm seeing a load of US Netflix only stuff when I clicked the link I posted above, which doesn't resolve, so you click the "Netflix Home" button, which launches the content illustrated on my screen shot added above, even if you're a UK customer!
(the link address is http://movies.netflix.com/Default)

Nialli said...

And I've amended the original post to just list the UK Netflix films in case folk don't read the Comments. I've no VPN or DNS proxy running, just plain ol' Chrome on my Mac.

STiVO said...

If you have an extension called mediahint on your browser you can access all the American programmes netflix and hulu have to offer.

Nialli said...

Ah. I have Mediahint loaded. Forgot about that. Sorry chaps - the original post now accurately refers to the UK content.